A Taste of the Real World

Tuesday, September 21, 2004

Today was a looooong and tiring day. In fact, I actually just came home from Olympic in Libis where we played badminton. We had to practice for this Sunday's tournament. Come this Sunday, we're ready to show our moves (haha! as if we really have "the" moves to show). We may be amateurs but definitely, we wouldn't let our opponents win without a good fight. Go Team Globesco! =)

So, today was our first day in Maersk Filipinas. It's THE day. I woke up really early thinking that I'll be VERY early but I was wrong! Traffic was really bad today and I think I had a little too many stopovers. To put it in simple terms, I WAS LATE! It's a good thing though we weren't immediately called in to the office. Althroughout the day, we were basically briefed about the company's operations. Joy, who by the way is the guy in-charge of our training, wanted to make sure that we perfectly understood the company's business before we start working officially. The orientation was quite interesting but it's just too much information for me to absorb and lack of sleep makes matters even worse. As much as I wanted to listen, my mind at some point starts wandering off to La La Land. I guess my overcapacitated mind needs to recharge in order to function properly (no kidding! hehe). Nonetheless, I must say I've learned so many things today.
In sum, first day of work wasn't that bad at all. Today was definitely a whole new experience for me. School is so much different from work. The environment is different. The people are different. The culture is different. Work gives you that sense of maturity and responsibility. Work teaches you to set your priorities straight. Work makes you start thinking about the future. Work is that point in your life where you officially start growing up. The change gives me some sort of excitement but at the same time, it gives me the jitters. I'm also feeling some sort of apprehension. I'm scared that I wouldn't be able to meet my supervisors' expectations. I'm afraid that I would'nt do well. I guess this is just a taste of what the real world is like and I'm sure it's not going to taste sweet all the time. But no matter how different and difficult everything may seem, I know I'll survive at the end of it all. ;)

0 comments: