Home Stretch

Friday, July 22, 2005

Wow, time flies. Manila! I'm coming home in a week's time. Now that training is almost over, I feel such a huge relief. To graduate AIG-CFG's Analytics Program was a feat that I thought I could not have successfully done. It feels as if I were back in school again but this time with a higher level or degree. Looking back now, I can't believe how I've managed to hurdle so many obstacles in the last 5 months. It hasn't been easy to say the least. I've never experienced so many highs and lows within such a short span of time. This whole HK experience has been one big roller coaster ride - it was exciting but jittery. More than anything else, living independently has most certainly been a very good experience for me. It's something that I've always wanted to try out but never really given much serious thought about because I knew it was far from happening anyway. But here I am now, I've learned to spread my wings, depend on myself and do things (which I wouldn't normally do) on my own. And although my place still needs some serious redecorating and refurbishing, I've grown to enjoy and value my very own personal space. Working abroad, on the other hand, has truly been an overwhelming experience. There's just so much diversity and potential. Dealing with people from different countries has been quite interesting as well. My interpersonal and communication skills have been put to a test. Sometimes even if you're not feeling it, you have to put more effort and be more sociable or friendlier than usual. Working and living in a foreign country changes your perspective on things or life in general. It makes you want to start looking at the greater scheme of things. It opens your eyes to so many other possibilities that go way beyond your own borders or the Philippines shores. Thus, making you want to explore what's out there even more; and sometimes even if it means having to step out of your comfort zone. It opens your mind to understanding cultures different from yours. Thus, making you do away with stereotypes. You'd be surprised that no matter how huge the differences may be, you'd always end up having something in common or relating to each other's lives in more ways than one. Also, it makes you have a greater appreciation of the things that you've taken for granted. You wouldn't know how good you had it until you lose it for a while (worse case scenario: you lose it forever). Really, I've learned and gained so much more in my 5 months stint in HK that no matter how much ranting, whining and complaining I did and no matter how tough it has been, it was certainly worth the ride.

0 comments: