Moving Day

Sunday, May 01, 2005

It’s moving day for me. I’m now officially transferring to my very own apartment/room. I finally get to have privacy – no more sharing of the bed and bathroom. And being the neat freak or OC that I am, I won’t have to worry about cleaning up after somebody else’s mess. I’m also getting my internet hooked up since it’s such a hassle to go down to the lobby every single time. If everything works, I might try sharing the internet connection with the Thai guy (or “gay” - not yet confirmed though, hehe) whose room is exactly right under mine (he’s one floor down). We can split the bill and save 225 HK each every month. Not bad, right? Supposedly, all we need is a router and we’re good to go. On the one side, I’m really going to miss our old apartment since it’s located in one of the “better” floors. It’s newly renovated and I like the modern and minimalist feel to it. Our new apartment totally fails in comparison. Alright, it’s averagely fair and passable but it's still a far cry from our old apartment. I inquired about the studio type rooms located in the “better” floors and was willing to pay for the difference that my company was paying. However, according to the front desk people, they would still have to check with my company and have them sign a new contract again. After all the brouhaha last March and after the “sermon” that we got from the regional HR head on our very first day of work here, I was like forget about it. I wasn’t willing to take the risk again of creating trouble because of the room setup. I don’t want to give them the impression that I’m such a big whiner or I’m feeling VIP and wanted to be treated differently from the rest. After all, everyone else stays in the same floor where we just transferred to (except the two who’s staying on the 16th) and so far, nobody else inquired about the “better” rooms so I think I should have no reason to ask for anything different. Things are so different now – this is work. I’m working now for somebody else and I don’t have the bargaining power (or more like bargaining rights!) to demand for anything or ask specifically for something anymore. I can’t expect for things or conditions to be the same as what I’ve always been used to or as what they usually are outside work. I should even be thankful that our accommodations and terms aren’t that bad as one would usually expect from corporate trainings like this. I mean what more can you ask for…training in HK, living in a hotel/apartment (with housekeeping twice a week!) and getting paid with a hefty sum. I say, we’re so much better off already.

Transferring to our own apartments/rooms is kind of exciting while at the same time, it makes kind of hesitant as well. Excited because I get to have my own place and do my own thing and hesitant, because I sort of get scared easily (hehe). Okay fine, I’m a scaredy cat. Thank you very much to my overactive imagination! So from this day onwards, I’m officially on my own. Well, only at least for the next 3 months. Nothing really permanent. Nevertheless, I'm learning to live the independent life. It certainly has its ups and downs. But I have to savor the moment while it lasts. So here's to my so called temporary independence! (hehe)

0 comments: