The HK Experience

Thursday, May 05, 2005

Other than the hassles, stress and pressures of work, I’m actually enjoying myself here in Hong Kong. Not in the superlative sense though but enjoying myself nonetheless. I mean who would have known that I’d get to experience this kind of opportunity and what an interesting experience it has been so far. Nothing really big or exciting though. I’ve always wanted to live abroad for a while – whether for work or school but I didn’t have the initiative to make it all happen. And like lightning in the sky, this job offer came literally flashing right before me. So they say lightning strikes only once in one place – hence, I took the plunge regardless of the innumerable uncertainties. It’s strange how opportunity knocks or how good things come your way when you least expect it.

I could hardly believe that a good whole 2 months have already gone by since I left Manila. Sigh, time flies. I’m immersing myself with the new culture around me – work, the environment, the people, and independent life. Within only a span of 2 months, so many things have already happened – a fair mix of good and bad experiences. Either way, valuable lessons have been learned and taken well to heart whether with regards to work, people, myself and life in general.

Needless to say, I’m taking pleasure in this so called temporary change. I needed this change. As a matter of fact, it has been long overdue. I think there’s no better time than now. However, change can sometimes be a pain in the butt especially when we lose the comfort and sense of familiarity. It can be difficult. Sometimes it feels as if we’re starting from scratch again. It can be risky as well. There’s the risk of not knowing what's ahead and of creating a negative chain reaction. It can also be frustrating. We fumble and find our way. We try to fine-tune every little thing and a whole lot of adjustments have to be made accordingly. But one way or the other, change can be healthy. It can do us good depending upon the attitude we have towards it. Change can actually make us stronger, wiser and better persons. And here I am now, somehow changed by this whole Hong Kong experience in more ways than I’ve ever imagined.

0 comments: