Dorky Me

Monday, November 05, 2007

I'm such a dork, really. This Regional VP, who I consider as my mentor when I was still in Hong Kong, is here in Manila for three days. I was caught off guard when he asked me if I wanted to join him for coffee. I think he was supposed to have coffee with my boss but she begged off. Sheesh, I couldn't even muster a straight and decent answer. Wala ata akong naisagot na matino except for "maybe tomorrow" (naihabol ko lang when he asked one last time). Wish ko lang talaga hindi ko siya na-offend in any way. Although feel ko na-offend ko siya (ayayay!). As much as I wanted to have coffee, it was already late in the afternoon plus I had a ton of deliverables and I didn't want to go home after dinner. I was also feeling kinda diyahe because I tend to get intimidated with people of his stature/position (even if he was my mentor), all the more now that it's a one-on-one. In addition, I was just trying to give my boss some courtesy at that time. I mean, kung siya nga hindi nag-coffee, ako pa kaya? Kinda kapalmuks naman diba? Besides my boss couldn't give me a straight and outright answer if it was okay. So it was obviously a hint from her that she wasn't okay with it. I was having this conversation though with my officemate (she also went to Hong Kong) and she told me that if she were in my shoes, she would've taken the invitation. It wasn't really her problem anymore (and it shouldn't be) if my boss doesn't want to have coffee. Hmm...I couldn't agree more. I really think it was a wasted opportunity to catch up with this person, our mentor. He doesn't really visit that often here and sino ba namang Regional VP ang mag-iinvite sa amin or sa akin as in this case for coffee? Uhmm...wala? Sayang. Oh well, maybe next time - that is if there is a next time.

0 comments: