Working My Way

Saturday, June 11, 2005

So what have I been up to for the past couple of months now?

According to our syllabus, the objective of the CFG Analytics MA Training Program (a.k.a. Camp David) is to train and develop a batch of talented, ambitious and analytics-oriented analysts to help further transform AIG CFG into an information-driven and analytical decision making organization.

Upon completion of training, we are expected to take on the role of Consumer Finance Analysts – able to analyze potential risks, formulate quantitative approaches and recommendations to solve business challenges, monitor systems and tools for portfolio performance analysis such as to comprehend very concrete technical and business knowledge, from profit and risk dynamics to in-depth portfolio performance analysis, from credit score fundamentals to technique of developing customer segmentation through use of data mining algorithm, about unsecured and secured consumer finance products, etc.

For someone who has never really liked mathematics or pretty much anything quantitative based, I wonder how on earth I ended up with this job. I almost didn’t take this job though because I knew that it was going to deal with a whole lot of “numbers” and I wasn’t so sure if it was something that I wanted to “force” or get myself into. However, I was just too overwhelmed by everything that came with the job offer so I sweet talked my way in the interviews. And after three months worth of training, I find myself wanting to give up. There are days when I really feel like quitting. Everyday is a hurdle. Everything is a challenge to me now. Is this what work is supposed to be like? I mean Hong Kong and the people I work with are all good but work in itself is just frustratingly hard. Perhaps I’m not as ambitious as I thought I was. I’ve always dreamed big but maybe I’m just not cut out for this. Or perhaps this is something that I have to do in the meantime to make me change for the better and potentially achieve something greater. And sometimes taking the easy way out isn’t exactly going to take us anywhere so inspite of everything, I took the road less traveled and maybe it will make all the difference.

0 comments: