Home Sweet Home

Monday, December 27, 2004

After a week in the hospital, my mom is finally back home though she hasn’t fully recovered yet from her operation. Nonetheless, I thank God for my mom’s successful operation. Special thanks also to all the doctors and nurses in Cardinal Santos who took care of my mom =). Last Monday, we were all worried sick seeing my mom in so much pain and the doctors having no idea as to her condition. It was only Tuesday afternoon that the doctors finally diagnosed my mom with appendicitis, which very rarely occurs to adults (a mere 5% according to the doctors). The past week, we were tired as well from going back and forth to the hospital, and spending the entire day everday in the hospital. This was my longest time ever spent in a hospital and to think, I hate going to hospitals. No complaints here though because it’s the least that I can do for my mom. After all these years, it’s now our turn to take care of her and return the favor. It’s a good thing though that there are four of us. After all that has happened, I’ve decided that I want to have more kids in the future (hehe) but really ever since I’ve always wanted to have at least 4 kids. As the saying goes, “the more the merrier.” (hehe).

For the first time, we spent Christmas in the hospital – no celebrations, nothing fancy really. While the usual gift giving is always on the 24th, the 25th is usually spent abroad as part of the Sy Clan’s tradition (imagine this: 30+ of us filling up an entire tour bus and yes, the family is still growing! hehe). Hong Kong was the choice of destination for this Christmas. This year though as if she already had some sort of premonition, my mom was stubbornly insisting on staying here instead. And so only after going through all the debates and disagreements, my mom’s decision prevailed. Thus, our family skipped this year's Sy Clan Christmas trip. Christmas felt seemingly different this year. It didn’t feel like Christmas at all. It was just like any other day maybe partly because my mom was confined in the hospital. I've always believe though that ultimately more than all the gifts, parties and decorations, the "specialness" of Christmas is Christmas spent in the company of loved ones no matter what the circumstances may be.

0 comments: